Tuesday, January 17, 2012

..Berry Fun..

I was a child of the 80's. As such, I cared for a Cabbage Patch doll (whose name I cannot remember and whose birth certificate is MIA), rode a ten-speed bike (arguably not the best), pretended to be a Smurf outside in every season of the year, and spent hours on end in front of my dollhouse with my beloved Strawberry Shortcake dolls. In the last few years, I have found and dusted off my dolls, who were carefully stored, wrapped in tissue paper, and staggered just so, in order that the scents would be preserved and not mix. There is still the slightest hint of a scent...


I treasured these dolls, and somehow feel guilty throwing them in a bin and keeping them stored that way. It just doesn't feel right. So lately, I've been crafting a way to give them their own little "beds." My husband thinks I'm crazy, and perhaps I am. I should also explain, however, that in retrieving these dolls, I also "retrieved" a ton of fabrics and notions, and am trying to find ways to utilize this treasure. So instead of crazy, I consider myself resourceful.


Sadly, similar to my memory lapse with poor Cabbage-Patch-with-no-name, I could not remember some of the names of these adorable dolls and their animal pals. Good thing I was able to find the exhaustive list of dolls here.


So one of the many blogs I peruse, Pink Penguin, recently had a tutorial on how to make these. I made one, just to check out the measurements, and how they would work with the dolls and pets. I had fun choosing the fabric from the treasure trove I have, and I especially liked how the little yellow tulips on Mint Tulip's dress matched *perfectly* with her fabric.


The only thing I might change is the measurements of the beds. They seem a little big. And I am toying with the idea of embroidering their names on the side, just to ensure remembrance, and to add some color to a very plain outer fabric.


This would be Lime Chiffon with Parfait Parrot.


I suspect with the number of dolls I have, coupled with my Escargot-esque sewing skills, that I will have this all done by, perhaps Christmas 2013. But that's ok. I'm in no rush. I will have to endure the humfphs and geeshes from the hubby until then.


Until next time,
Emily

1 comment: